October 27, 2021
FAIRMONT, WV – Your Community Foundation of North Central West Virginia, Inc., announces a $1 million charitable matching gift that will double the amount of all new donations – up to $1 million – to two funds benefitting the North Central West Virginia region.
The Double Your Impact Challenge was announced today at the Convention and Visitors Bureau of Marion County in Fairmont. The campaign will run until December 31, 2022, and aims to help communities in the five-county area.
The challenge was sparked by the generous gift of an anonymous donor who believes in the mission of YCF and the power all people have to create positive change in their communities through charitable giving, YCF said in a statement.
“Life is local,” said the donor in a statement this week. “This gift is meant to enhance YCF’s flexibility to meet community needs impacting all areas of local lives. It is my sincere hope that others in the North Central region will see the value of giving back to our communities with minimum restrictions. Together much can be accomplished.”
The $1 million gift is the largest match opportunity in the nonprofit’s ten-year history. The new campaign allows donors to Double Your Impact on communities in Harrison, Marion, Monongalia, Preston and Taylor Counties.
“Your donation is more than money. It’s an investment in our community,” said YCF President Patty Showers Ryan. “Each year, we receive grant applications for worthy projects and programs that we are unable to fund. Less than 5% of grants are able to be fulfilled by our IMPACT Fund, so growing discretionary dollars will better enable us to meet the community’s needs.”
Established in 2011, YCF today manages more than $20 million in assets and administers 150 diverse funds across a five-county region of North Central West Virginia, including Harrison, Marion, Monongalia, Preston and Taylor Counties.
YCF invests donated funds and distributes the net earnings to qualified recipients, awarding some $9.5 million in grants and scholarships in the past decade.
In 2020 alone, YCF awarded more than $869,000 in grants and scholarships. Additionally, to address the impacts of COVID-19, it made 72 COVID-19 relief grants to local nonprofits totaling more than $150,000 through its Emergency Impact Fund. Those grants focused on needs related to food, shelter, and safety.
Donors are invited to participate in the Double Your Impact Challenge by making gifts to two funds:
YCF IMPACT Fund
- This is an unrestricted donation, meaning there are no restrictions on the charitable purposes for which funds may be used within YCF’s service area.
- Donations of any amount (up to a total maximum of $900,000) to the YCF IMPACT Fund will be matched. Gifts of $10,000 and greater may create an endowed fund in honor or memory of loved ones. Pledges are accepted over a 5-year period.
- Grant awards are selected annually through a competitive grant application process via the YCF Grant Committee and approved by the YCF Board of Directors.
- This fund may also be used in times of community emergencies with no application process as approved by the YCF Board of Directors.
YCF Addiction Prevention Initiative Fund
- This newly endowed fund is intended to support programs geared to lessen and alter the destructive impact of alcohol and drug addiction on children and their families through education and professional support at the grassroots level.
- Funding to support immediate needs and grant requests.
- Matching funds (up to a total maximum of $100,000) will be added to this permanent endowment.
- Applications will be accepted annually through YCF’s Community Grant application.
- Gifts can be pledged over a 5-year period.
For more information please call (304) 296-3433 or visit YCF’s website, www.ycfwv.org/match.