Featuring Educator Mini-Grants and the Inaugural YCF Billy Coffindaffer Award
November 15, 2023
Morgantown, WV – Your Community Foundation of North Central West Virginia, Inc. (YCF) announces the distribution of 60 grants, totaling over $117,000, to local charitable organizations in celebration of National Community Foundation Week. These awards, ranging from $120 to $14,000, support community programs, schools, services, and initiatives across Harrison, Marion, Monongalia, Preston, and Taylor Counties.
The grants were presented at a celebration sponsored by Hope Gas at the Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place on November 15.
Nonprofit organizations receiving YCF grants:
- CASA for Kids of Monongalia and Preston Counties
- Change Initiative Corporation – The Phoenix Recovery House
- Community Kitchen, Inc.
- Grafton-Taylor County Health Department
- The Homestead Farm Center, Inc.
- Libera Inc.
- Milan Puskar Health Right, Inc.
- Monongalia County Child Advocacy Center, Inc.
- Mountaineers for Mutts
- Pantry Plus More, Inc.
- Planned Approach to Community Health Coalition of Taylor County (PATCH)
- Rape and Domestic Violence Information Center, Inc.
- The Shack Neighborhood House, Inc.
- St. Ursula Food Pantry & Outreach
- West Virginia Public Broadcasting Foundation, Inc.
This year’s awards included Educator Mini Grants, which were available to educators in traditional public schools in YCF’s service area. Grants of up to $750 were awarded to educators for special projects, materials, or classroom resources to help enhance the student learning experience.
Schools receiving YCF grants:
- Big Elm Elementary School
- Bridgeport High School
- Johnson Elementary School
- Liberty High School
- Mountaineer Middle School
- Nutter Fort Primary
- Simpson Elementary School
- South Harrison High School
- Barrackville Elementary/Middle School
- East Dale Elementary School
- East Fairmont Middle School
- Monongah Middle School
- Pleasant Valley Elementary School
- Brookhaven Elementary School
- Clay-Battelle Middle/High School
- Eastwood Elementary School
- Monongalia County Technical Education Center (MTEC)
- Morgantown High School
- Mylan Park Elementary School
- North Elementary School
- Ridgedale Elementary School
- South Middle School
- Suncrest Elementary School
- Suncrest Middle School
- Westwood Middle School
- Central Preston Middle School
- Kingwood Elementary School
- Preston High School
- Anna Jarvis Elementary School
- West Taylor Elementary School
The following YCF funds supported this year’s grants:
- Billy Atkins & Carolyn Peluso Atkins Fund for Children
- Francis and Coletta Schmidt Family Fund
- Mavis Grant & George W. Lilley Jr. Community Enhancement Fund
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Field of Interest Fund
- Rape and Domestic Violence Field of Interest Fund
- S.T.E.M. For Girls Fund
- Stephen D. Tanner Children’s Enrichment Fund
- Taylor County Charitable Interest Fund
- Women’s Giving Circle of North Central West Virginia Endowment Fund
- YCF IMPACT Fund
- The YCF Volunteer Leadership Fund
Additionally, The Disability Action Center was presented with the inaugural YCF Billy Coffindaffer Award. Made possible by The YCF Volunteer Leadership Fund, this new, annual award recognizes nonprofit organizations in YCF’s service area that demonstrate forward-thinking vision and strength in governance. The award pays special homage to the late Billy Coffindaffer, honoring his memory and vast contributions to YCF and the community.
These grants were awarded on National Philanthropy Day, November 15, which coincides with National Community Foundation Week, celebrated annually from November 12 to 18. Community Foundation Week was created in 1989 by former president George H.W. Bush to recognize the work of community foundations throughout America and their collaborative approach to working with the public, private, and nonprofit sectors to address community issues.
“On behalf of YCF’s Board of Directors, we thank our generous community of donors who make these grant awards possible,” said YCF’s Board Chair, Martin Howe. “We also congratulate the nonprofits and schools receiving the awards and working to improve the lives of residents throughout our region.”
YCF’s mission is to promote philanthropy and build endowment funds to benefit our communities. Through financial resources, YCF extends many forms of assistance to qualified people, programs, and projects. Primarily serving North Central West Virginia, YCF works to make charitable giving easy, flexible, and effective.
For more information, please visit www.ycfwv.org or call the YCF office at (304) 296-3433.