October 19, 2022
Morgantown, WV – Your Community Foundation of North Central West Virginia, Inc. (YCF) is pleased to announce the Harrison and Taylor County Commissions each donated $10,000 to the $1 Million Match Campaign.
The Taylor County Commission approved the donation of $10,000 to establish the Taylor County IMPACT Fund, which will generate investment income to benefit Taylor County residents and organizations.
The Harrison County Commission also recently approved a $10,000 donation to establish the Harrison County IMPACT Fund. This fund will support Harrison County residents and organizations.
Both funds are endowed, meaning they will generate investment income to benefit their communities for years to come with the principal gift never spent.
As part of YCF’s $1 Million Match Campaign, the donations are being matched dollar-for-dollar to the YCF IMPACT Fund, an unrestricted grantmaking fund benefiting YCF’s five-county region, which also includes Marion, Monongalia and Preston Counties.
The contributions to the $1 Million Match Campaign will support Harrison and Taylor County residents while simultaneously benefiting the entire North Central West Virginia region.
“We extend our gratitude to the Harrison and Taylor County Commissions for their generous donations to strengthen our communities,” said Martin Howe, YCF Board Chair. “To help grow available grant funds and make an even greater impact, we also invite individuals, businesses and foundations in these counties to contribute to their respective funds.”
More than $675,000 has been raised in the $1 Million Match Campaign that was launched in the fall of 2021. To date, the anonymous donor has matched all donations dollar-for-dollar. The campaign will run until December 31, 2022, or until the $1 Million goal is met, and aims to help communities in the five-county area.
The challenge was sparked by the generous gift of an anonymous donor who believes in the mission of YCF and the power all people have to create positive change in their communities through charitable giving, YCF said in a statement.
The Monongalia County Commission contributed to the $1 Million Match Campaign in July. Additionally, gifts have been received from numerous individuals, businesses and foundations.
Others interested in participating in the $1 Million Match Campaign may make gifts to two funds:
YCF IMPACT Fund
- Unrestricted endowment funds provide flexible grantmaking for the community’s greatest needs. Currently, the IMPACT Fund is only able to support 4% of the grant dollars requested through YCF’s Community Grant program.
- Donations of any amount (up to a total maximum of $900,000) to the YCF IMPACT Fund will be matched. Gifts of $10,000 and greater may create an endowed fund in honor or memory of loved ones. Pledges are accepted over a 5-year period.
- Grant awards are selected annually through a competitive grant application process via the YCF Grant Committee and approved by the YCF Board of Directors.
- The fund may also be used in times of community emergencies with no application process as approved by the YCF Board of Directors.
YCF Addiction Prevention Initiative Fund
- This new endowment is intended to support programs geared to lessen and alter the destructive impact of alcohol and drug addiction on children and their families through education and professional support at the grassroots level.
- Matching funds (up to a total maximum of $100,000) will be added to the permanent endowment.
- Applications will be accepted annually through YCF’s Community Grant application.
- Donations can be pledged over a 5-year period.
YCF is a tax-exempt public charity created by and for the people of North Central West Virginia to manage multi-generational endowments, YCF enables local people with philanthropic interests to easily and effectively support the issues they care about.
YCF employs a full-time professional staff of investment managers and support staff overseen by a management committee of local investment experts. YCF maintains transparent public reporting, undergoes an annual CPA audit, and maintains a term-limited, revolving board of current community leaders.
Donors can establish a charitable fund at YCF by contributing a variety of assets and may also recommend grants to nonprofit groups they want to support.
YCF accepts donations in the following ways: checks, tribute gifts in honor or memory of a loved one, online via PayPal, matching gifts, stocks or securities, IRA gifts, wills, and bequests.
For more information please call (304) 296-3433 or visit YCF’s website, www.ycfwv.org.